1. Served in Dept. of Ophthalmology, Madurai Medical College for 23 years from 1972 to 1995 and voluntarily retired as civil surgeon. Of this, served as an eye-camp Medical Officer for 18 years, also acted as professor and Head in Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Pondycherry and Chennai Medical College, Trichi. Performed over 50,000 ocular surgeries, cataracts in large members.
2. Published 42 scientific papers in Ophthalmology and twice got “Best paper” Award.
A) For study of orbital tumours by”venography”. (1979)
B) Surgical correction of “very high myopia” (1992).
3. Conducted workshop on orbital tumours, intra-ocular lens implantation, myopia management and oculoplasty, inviting faculty from different parts of world.
4. Served as examiner for P.G. and U.G. level in different universities ( Mysore, Pondicherry, Madurai Kamaraj, Madras University and also in MGR Medical University.).
5. Chaired session in ophthalmic conferences. invited as ” guest” by American Academy of Ophthalmology.
6. Extra – curricular :
a) Founder Secretary of voluntary blood donor’s club of Madurai Medical College (1970)
b) Served as an officer in N.C.C. (1974 to 1994) in the rank of “captain”.
c) Passed B.A. Degree in Music.
d) Converted a dry land into an ‘orchard’ growing 5000 trees over last years.
e) T.V. Programmes and Public Lectures given for eye care awareness.
7. Firsts :
a) First to introduce fold-able intra-ocular lens implants in Tamil Nadu.
b) First to introduce myopia surgeries in Tamil Nadu.
c) First to perform orbital tumour surgeries in large numbers in Tamil Nadu.
d) First Indian to be conferred as “Fellow” by international Society of orbital disorders.
Dr. Baskara Rajan contributed to the development of ophthalmology in Tamil Nadu as well as eye care delivery in rural areas.
Doctor with Foreign Delegates